Friday, March 16, 2012

Hello!  And thank you for coming to our humble blog!  Our names are Peter & Kelly Fox.  Peter is the Pastor of Safe Harbor Church in Akutan, Alaska.  Akutan is located on Akutan Island in the eastern Aleutians, one of the Krenitzin Islands in the Fox Islands group.  It is 35 miles east of Unalaska, and 766 miles southwest of Anchorage.  Akutan lies in the maritime climate zone, resulting in mild winters and cool summers.  Temperatures range from 22 to 55 °F, and precipitation averages 28 inches per year. High winds and storms are frequent in the winter, and fog is common in the summer.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 18.9 square miles, of which, 14.0 square miles of it is land and 4.9 square miles of it (25.69%) is water.

We are here to minister to the people of Akutan village and to the employees of the Trident Seafoods plant.  We hope to keep you updated on our ministry through this blog and share with you what the Lord is doing here in this remote portion of the world!  Hang on!  It will be a wild ride!

4 comments:

  1. Pete! I'm so excited that you're in Alaska! More than that though, I'm excited for you and your family to be embarking on this amazing adventure! As for your earlier facebook status blaming(I say crediting) me with sparking this venture, I am pleased to have been a part of it! :)
    Alaska has been absolutely wonderful so far and I know it's only going to get better. Being so far away is certainly going to make it tough, but I sincerely hope we can manage to get together sometime; maybe when you come to the "big city" to shop and/or stock up(as this seems to be the common thing to do when you live in the more separated areas). I hope your journey has been good to you and your family thus far and I hope to hear from you soon!

    -Steve Wallace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve! If I recall correctly from your FaceBook posts, you are in Fairbanks right??? I know it's a long way from the Aleutians to Fairbanks, but since we're both here, I'm sure we can figure something out!

      It has been wonderful here! We are loving it! Right now it is just David and I. Kelly and the other two kids are still in VA. They should be here in June...Lord willing. Yesterday, David and I went out snowshoeing on the mountain behind our house. Incredible views!! Today I am volunteering at the local medical clinic. We have been incredibly busy, but it is certainly a joy! I do hope we can figure something out to get together! Take care!

      Delete
  2. Peter as useual Kelly is back in Virginia ministering to all of us.She was right there with me again for surgery #10 or something like that. I have lost count.No one in my entire life has done that for me. I am so proud of you both but I love Kelly so much. I pray God continues to bless your family. Your family is the closet to a family I've ever known.I will miss all of you so much when June comes. You and David be blessed. Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. And thank you for all your help with our house! We definitely appreciate your prayers!

      Delete